I’ve been curious about Lobster Thermidor for a while! Since Lobster is one of my favourite proteins, it’s no surprise that I’ve spent a significant amount of time researching different recipe ideas to utilize its delicious, briny meat.
Lobster Thermidor has caught my attention multiple times, but this is the first time I’ve actually made it. As I carefully lifted it out of the oven and smelled the sweet, buttery, savoury aroma I knew I was hooked.
Lobster Thermidor was famously perfected by Julia Childs. While I have not attempted her recipe, this version is a little bit faster and still packed with flavour. The meat is tender and flakey, and the rich creamy flavours are a beautiful compliment to the salty lobster!
Lobster Thermidor is pretty easy, and works well as an entree or on the side of a great cut of steak. It’s ideal for date night, entertaining, or to treat yourself!
The recipe below is for one lobster. Each serving is half of a lobster. If you are using this recipe to entertain, simply duplicate or multiply the recipe to accommodate additional lobsters.
- Non-Stick Skillet
- Cookie Sheet
- 1 2LBS Fresh Atlantic Lobster Cooked
- 1.5 TBSP Butter Unsalted
- 1 Clove of Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Shallot Finely Diced
- 1 TBSP Minced Mushroom
- 1 TBSP Flour
- 2 TBSP Brandy
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Gruyere Cheese Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Shredded
- 1.5 TBSP Flat Leaf Parsley Chopped
- 1 TSP Scallions Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Maldon Sea Salt To Taste
- Fresh Cracked Peppercorn To Taste
- Preheat Oven to 450 Degrees
- Twist your claws off the lobster. Slice your lobster length wise and remove the meat (keeping halve shells intact). Chop your meat and place in a bowl.
- Place butter into a non-stick skillet. Saute shallot, mushroom, and garlic. Add flour and stir into a roux. Add brandy, cream, salt, and pepper. Stir. Add cheese and allow to melt. Stir.
- Add lobster meat. Toss.
- Spoon lobster meat and sauce into the empty lobster shells.
- Sprinkle with crushed bread crumbs and fresh herbs.
- Place under broiler for approximately 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool slightly before serving.