Something about September always feels like a fresh start. I’m not sure if it’s due to years of school starting, or if it’s because the mornings start to feel crisp and Fall-like, but September feels like a do-over.
Hence – my Husband and I jumping on a “clean-eating” wagon this week. As someone who lives to eat, sometimes I struggle with lower calorie meals. It can be especially hard on hectic days where I don’t feel like I have time to cook.
Today after work (and running what felt like countless errands), I came home to an empty house. I had no food prepped, and almost zero ambition. Since my Husband was at a work event I decided to take the opportunity to make a quick, easy, and healthy seafood dish!
I had all these items in inventory already, so from start-to-finish, this dish took about 15 minutes! It was refreshing, delicious, and exactly what I needed!
Seared Scallops & Pea Puree
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Shelled Peas
- 1 Fresh Mint Leaf
- 1/4 TSP Fresh Minced Garlic
- Sea Salt To Taste
- 5-6 Jumbo Scallops
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Cracked Peppercorn
- Olive Oil For the Pan
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Peas
- 1/4 Cup Pea Shoots
- Add peas to boiling water and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove, and add garlic, salt, a little of the water that the peas were boiling in, and mint. Puree with an immersion blender. Add additional water if required. Set aside.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Season generously with sea salt and fresh cracked peppercorns (Like, go nuts!)
- Heat your pan over medium-high heat, and allow it to get piping hot. Drizzle with olive oil. Place your scallops down in the pan.
- Allow scallops to cook for about 2 minutes per side. You want a crispy golden sear!
- Remove scallops from the pan once they are properly seared on each side. A very hot pan will ensure this happens quickly, without over cooking your scallops.
Plate and Garnish
- Place your pea puree on a plate, then scallops, then sprinkle additional peas and pea shoots for garnish.
- Enjoy your "Clean Eating" Meal!