I love a good ramen bowl! There’s something about leaving bones to simmer for hours and adding layers of complex flavours to round out the broth that just screams comfort food.
There are so many routes to take with ramen. Spicy, sweet, or peppery, a vegetable base, beef base, poultry base, or pork base (to name a few). There is a mountain of noodle options available, and vegetables or garnish can be added according to taste and preference. But, my new favorite ramen is spicy pork and ginger ramen!
Spicy Pork & Ginger Ramen
- 750 ml Broth (Pork, Beef, or Chicken)
- 1.5 Inch Ginger (Sliced)
- 5 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 2 TBSP Mirin
- 1 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Pork Chops (Shaved Thin)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 TBSP Sesame Oil
- 1 TBSP Chili Flakes in Oil
- 1 TSP Chinese Five Spice
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 TBSP White Sugar
- 1 Carrot (Matchstick)
- 4 Shiitake Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Sliced)
- 1 Lime
- Ramen Noodles
- Cilantro (For Garnish)
- Kosher Salt (To Taste)
- Fresh Cracked Peppercorn (To Taste)
- Optional: Soft Boiled Eggs
- Place your thinly sliced pork into a ziplock bag. Add 2.5 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/2 inch of chopped ginger, 2 tablespoons of mirin. Seal the bag and leave to marinate for at least one hour.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to the pan. Sear your pork until cooked, and set aside.
- Fill a bowl with 1/4 cup of rice vinegar and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place your matchstick carrots in the bowl. Set aside.
- Bring your broth to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add 1 inch of chopped ginger, the remainder of the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic, and Chinese five spice. Stir, and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, allowing ginger and garlic to season the broth. With a slotted spoon, strain out your ginger and garlic. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms.
- Prepare your ramen noodles according to package instructions.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and drop in your eggs. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Immediately place your eggs in an ice bath when 5 minutes is up. Carefully peel your eggs, and slice in two.
- Add cooked ramen noodles to a bowl. Ladle your hot broth over the noodles. Add cooked pork, “pickled” matchstick carrots, a couple of jalapeno slices, and fresh cilantro. Add chili flakes with oil, to taste. Squeeze in fresh lime juice. Add soft boiled egg.